Recommended Recent Reads # 2 - Sealed with a Kiss

Sealed with a Kiss book review Seals on Isle of Bute Rachael Lucas



Since using a kindle, it's not necessary anymore to plan your reading. If I fancy something to read all I have to do is browse Amazon, select, checkout and TA-DA! I have a book to read on my kindle. Actually in reality it's not quite as easy. My kindle won't connect to the internet at home so I have to download onto my computer and transfer via a cable. Still, it takes less than five minutes.

The first book I reviewed in my RRR series was About A Girl by Lindsey Kelk, you can see that here.

Unless I am waiting for a new release by one of my favourite authors I always have a browse of the kindle deals. There is loads of chick-lit available for under £1 but this little gem stood out for me. 

Essentials:
Sealed with a Kiss by Rachael Lucas
Rated: 4.5/5
Cost: 59p (currently 98p)

Amazon description:

'Kate is dumped on her best friend's wedding day by the world's most boring boyfriend, Ian. She's mostly cross because he got in first - until she remembers she's now homeless as well as jobless. Rather than move back home to her ultra-bossy mother, Kate takes a job on the remote Scottish island of Auchenmor as an all-round Girl Friday. Her first day is pretty much a disaster: she falls over, smack bang at the feet of her grouchy new boss, Roddy, Laird of the Island. Unimpressed with her townie ways, he makes it clear she's got a lot to prove.

Island life has no room for secrets, but prickly Roddy's keeping something to himself. When his demanding ex girlfriend appears back on the island, Kate's budding friendship with her new boss comes to an abrupt end. What is Fiona planning - and can she be stopped before it's too late?

This funny, big-hearted novel is the perfect read for fans of Carole Matthews, Trisha Ashley and Katie Fforde.'

I've only read a couple of Katie Fforde's books but I would agree this is perfect for fans of hers.

My opinion

I was reminded very much of the TV show Monarch of the Glen during the first introduction to the island. Though with it being set in Scotland and with a Laird it would be very difficult for me not to associate it!

When Kate is taking her journey up to the Islands of Scotland I very much emphathised with her. Going through the familiar 'what the heck am I doing, am I crazy?!' motions is something I can relate to. I've been off on many adventures living and working abroad and I always get that feeling. Once you've been waved off and it's just you entering a completely unfamiliar environment far from anything you know these thoughts do enter your head making you question your decisions. Of course Kate, like I (90% of the time), had all these qualms squashed once she arrived and was made to feel very welcome by the other dwellers on the estate who would soon become her friends and confidantes. When I say estate I mean the estate in which Duntavie castle resides. Not thinking Monarch of the Glen here at all ;)

Susan, Morag and Jean almost adopt Kate as soon as she steps off the ferry and are essential in helping Kate get used to island life. I love Bruno's, the Scottish-Italian, coffee shop. It is described as very retro with the booth and jukebox, but this being Auchenmor it has actually just been there a long time and the decor has come back into fashion. One character I should mention is Finn. Let's just say he helps Kate let her hair down. Although very much a ladies man he comes across as someone you just want a big hug from.

Sealed with a Kiss review Isle of Bute
From SeaDave

I plan on living in a small village/town when i'm a lot older so I really enjoyed the descriptions of the picturesque Auchenmor and the community. It's an island where everyone knows everyone else's secrets but with that comes a lovely community spirit that supports each other and celebrates together. The island is actually based on the Island of Bute, which is where the photos on this post are from.

Whilst in these types of books it is always obvious as to the outcome, I do love reading the journey they take to get there, the tension between the two that comes with thinking the other's not interested and all the stolen looks and glances. I would say that I would like to have seen a few more Kate/Roddy scenes, just day-to-day stuff and seeing them growing familiar and comfortable with each other and few more of the pointed looks. But that's just me being fussy.

Now you know when you reach the conclusion of a book and you just want to read more? Well aren't I a lucky girl! When I bought this I didn't have a clue when the book was published. Turns out it was earlier this year and the author has been so kind as to produce a mini sequel that came out last week called Sealed with a Christmas Kiss.YAY, happy Amy!!

This was a lovely, cute, heart-warming book to read. I laughed at times and even shed a couple of tears (whilst in the bath wearing a face mask!) Though after reading the book i'm still unsure as to what a Girl Friday is. A 'pitch in with anything' girl perhaps? Either way, does anyone know where I can get such a job? ;) 

PS. Writing this i've just twigged that the title could have a double meaning. 'Sealed' with a Kiss. Get it? Read the book and tell me if i'm right. :) 

PPS. Rachael is a blogger too, support a fellow blogger and give this a read! 

Sealed with a Kiss review seals on Isle of Bute
Seal photos from Kyle Evans 


No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Amy & more

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig